Speeding through the village has been reported a few times to the parish council. The most recent discussion on this topic was in September 2021 minutes item 6.3.

Presented here are the options that the council is aware of in relation to this issue.

Speeding Signs

The parish council has the power to provide road signs as per the Highways Act 1980.

As the village has no street lighting, solar powered signs would be required and such signs are typically around the £2,500 each (excluding installation costs). With several signs required, the council felt that the cost is prohibitive given there is guarantee additional signs will solve the problem.

Report Speeding

If any resident is concerned about speeding in the village, a report can be filed with North Yorkshire Police. The NYP website has a useful document that provides information about the process together with a form (at the bottom of the document).

Community Speed Watch

North Yorkshire Police have a scheme whereby residents can borrow a calibrated speed gun and record speeds of vehicles in the village. More details about Speed Watch are available on the NYP website.

A group of volunteers in the village have applied to create a Community Speed Watch group – watch this space, and your speed!

20’s Plenty

A nationwide action group has been setup in support of a 20 mph speed limits though residential areas. The group’s website provides lots of information, and they are also have a twitter account.

Government advice on 20mph zones is available on their website.


  • Flood Levels

    What happens when the river is in flood? more …

  • Grants

    What grants are available in Acaster Malbis? more …

  • Heatwave

    What can we do in a heatwave? more …

  • Hedgerows

    What can we do about excess growth on hedges? more …

  • Himalayan Balsam

    What is the issue with Himalayan Balsam? more …

  • Speeding

    What can be done about speeding in the village? more …