LATEST: DRAFT MINUTES FOR THE ANNUAL MEETING OF THE PARISH 14 MARCH 2021 – MEETINGS PAGE.
The parish of Acaster Malbis lies on the west bank of the River Ouse some four miles south west of the City of York. It is a rural parish covering circa 1800 acres [see map] and has approximately 700 residents. The Acaster Malbis Parish Council makes decisions on many issues that affect the local community probably the most common of which relate to planning matters (the Parish Council is a statutory consultee).
Working closely with other tiers of local government especially the City of York Council (CoYC) the Acaster Malbis Parish Council has the power to raise money through taxation which is called the precept. The precept is a share of the council tax which assists the Acaster Malbis Parish Council in its statutory activities in managing open spaces, maintaining its public assets and campaigning for better services and facilities for the community.
Where possible the council provides s.133 & s.137 grants for qualifying bodies.
The council, which comprises seven councillors, who each serve for a four year term, has a chairperson, a vice chairperson and a clerk who is the only employee of the council. The clerk provides support for the councillors and is the RFO (Responsible Financial Officer). The clerk maintains all of the Parish Council Records and produces agendas and minutes of all of the meetings. Whilst the councillors are available to provide information or assistance to the residents of the parish it is recommended that the initial point of contact should be made with the clerk whose details are on the contact us page.
The Acaster Malbis Parish Council meets on the second Monday of each month (with the exception of December and August) at 19:30 in the Village Hall and residents of the parish are welcome to attend. Questions may be asked of the chair between 19:30 and 19:45. The code of conduct covering the rights of electors and residents at Parish Council Meetings is published on both the notices page and the documents page of this site.
The crest used in our logo is the coat of arms of Sir John de Malebisse who died in 1316 and whose effigy is displayed in the Holy Trinity Church, Acaster Malbis.